By backing up your courses at the end of each semester, you are able to use the resulting backup file to load future sections of that course. This saves you time and energy by not having to rebuild a class every time you teach it.
To load an empty Moodle section using a backup file follow the steps below:
1. Enter the course into which you want to load the backup file.
2. In the Administration block (left-hand side of the course) select the restore link.
3. At the next page, use the “choose a file” button to find and select your backup file on your computer. You can also drag and drop the backup file into the upload box. When you find and select your backup file, it may take a minute for the file to process and show in the upload box. Be patient. When you see the backup file in the box, you are ready to restore it. It should look like this:
4. Click the restore button.
5. The next page shows a complete list of what is included in the backup file. Scroll to the bottom and click the continue button in the lower right corner.
6. Next, click the continue button within the “restore into this course” box.
7. Continue to click “next” (lower right corner) until you reach the “perform restore” button. Click that to complete process.