Faculty, Staff and Students:
- Go to your Start Menu and click on “Control Panel”. Once you are there click “Network and Internet”.
- Click on “Manage Wireless Networks” on the left hand side of the window.
- Next, click the “Add” button and then “Manually Create a Network Profile”
- In this next window you will need to enter the “Network name” that pertains to you:
- VTCStudents is for students on campus.
- VTCWireless is for faculty and staff
- Set the Security type to WPA2-Enterprise and the data encryption to AES. If WPA2-Enterprise is not an option, select WPA instead and set the data encryption to TKIP. Please note: If neither of these options are available you will not be able to connect to VTC’s wireless network. Any network card newer than 2004 should be able to support at least WPA with TKIP. If you know what kind of wireless card you have, you can check to see if it has been WPA certified.
- Once those are set make sure that “Start this connection automatically” is checked and then click next
- A new window will pop up, in this window click the 2nd option “Change Connection Settings” to configure the wireless properties
- That will bring you to a new window where you will uncheck “Connect to a more preferred network if available”. The only box that should be checked is “Connect automatically when this network is in range”
- Click the “Security” tab. Make sure the authentication method is “Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)”
- Click the “Settings” button & set “Select Authentication Method” to “Secure password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)”
- Next click the “Configure” button and make sure that in the new window “Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any).” is unchecked.
- Click OK on all open windows to save these settings.
- In the lower right corner of your screen a bubble should appear asking you to “Click here to select a certificate or other credentials for connection to the network VTCWireless” Click the bubble and enter your user name and password to logon to the wireless network. Your username and password will be the same that you use to logon to the VTC network, Portal, and web email.
- In the domain field type in “VTC” (no quotes) and click OK
- Another bubble will pop up asking to verify the certificate. Click the bubble and click OK on the small window that appears to confirm the certificate.
- And finally one more bubble should come up verifying that you are connected to the wireless network.